If you’re looking for a dairy-free (or just plain delicious) cheese substitute, you’ve come to the right place! From lasagna to dipping sauce, to nachos and quesadillas, this sauce is an awesome substitute for melty, gooey cheese.
One of our favorite dinners is a big spread of roasted vegetables and fresh bread, served with Overnight Cashew “Cheese” Sauce and Romesco Sauce. We’ll easily work our way through a huge plate of vegetables without thinking twice about it!
After trying this base recipe, you can create endless variations by replacing the chilies with your favorite herbs and spices. I often experiment with adding chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and even fresh cilantro.
Overnight Cashew “Cheese” Sauce
Servings: About 2-3 cups of sauce
- 1 package (12 oz) roasted cashews
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (start with 1/2 tsp if your cashews are already salted)
- 2 TBL apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 TBL canned diced green chilies (I prefer the hot version)
- 1-2 days before you plan to make the sauce, put the cashews in a sealed container and add enough water to cover them completely. Keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the sauce (no less than 16 hours later)
- When you’re ready to make the sauce, transfer the cashews and the soaking water to a high-speed blender along with the remaining ingredients
- Blend on high until very smooth, adding more water as needed until you reach the consistency you like (I usually add about 1/3 cup of additional water)
- Feel free to add more seasoning to taste, or more nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor
- Enjoy as a dipping sauce for bread and vegetables, use as a cheese replacement in quesadillas and other dishes, or pour over homemade vegetarian nachos!